Bachelor of Physiotherapy is a 4 years full time course with 6 months compulsory rotatory internship program as per the regulations laid by the University. BPT course has commenced since October, 2005. It is recognized by Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat and Ministry of Health, Government of Gujarat. The course includes teaching of various clinical & physiotherapy subjects. It also includes clinical exposure in OPD & IPD of various hospitals in Surat.
REGULATIONS GOVERNING BPT DEGREE COURSE:
- These ordinances shall be called “The Ordinances, Syllabus and Scheme of Examination pertaining to the Bachelor of Physiotherapy course, BPT.”
- The Bachelor of Physiotherapy program shall be under the Faculty of Medicine.
- The name of the Degree program shall be Bachelor of Physiotherapy [BPT].
- This revised syllabus will be applicable from academic year 2011-12.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES OF BPT DEGREE COURSE:
Aim of the course:
The aim of the course in “Bachelor of Physiotherapy” is to qualify students who complete it satisfactorily to work independently as physiotherapists, including working in interdisciplinary teams. The course must train students to plan, execute, evaluate and document physiotherapeutic work within the areas of promotion of good health, prevention of illness, treatment, habilitation, rehabilitation, and development of the profession, so that students acquire professional competence in the field of physiotherapy.
On the Bachelor of Physiotherapy course, acquiring professional competence means that the student must be able to:
- Contribute to developing, supporting, maintaining and restoring people’s optimal movement and functional abilities, with the aim of promoting good health and quality of life to prevent restrictions and loss of functionality in individuals
- Direct physiotherapeutic intervention aim is to focus on individuals and groups of all ages in interaction with their environment, leisure activities, work and taking into account ergonomic factors.
- Work in cooperation with patients and their relatives, colleagues, and professionals from other disciplines, irrespective of their cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Initiate and participate in professionally-related research and development work.
- Take further courses in theory and clinical practice after completing the basic education, including diploma, master’s degree and special postgraduate degree courses.
Satisfactory completion of the course gives the right to use the title Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT).
Objective of the Course:
This course shall allow the students:
- To acquire adequate knowledge of basic medical subjects and to develop skills and techniques of therapeutic exercises and therapeutic modalities so that they can manage various medical surgical conditions of patients.
- To acquire knowledge so that they can point out by assessing the medical and surgical conditions of the patient.
- To acquire skills in management, research and teaching as well as guidance and counseling of patients.
- To acquire proper attitude for compassion and concerns for patients and welfare of physically handicapped in the community.
- To practice moral and ethical values with regard to physiotherapy.